Why Are My Ears Ringing?Oct 30, 2014
There is a ringing in your ears that’s driving you crazy – but where is it coming from? It may not be what you think. Find out the causes of tinnitus that most people don’t know.
Tinnitus – the sound of ringing or buzzing in your ears with no outside source – is most often caused by damage to the inner ear. The most common causes of tinnitus are older age, exposure to loud noises or a buildup of earwax in the inner ear. However, there are some other causes of tinnitus that aren’t always considered.
Lesser Known Causes of Tinnitus
Some less common causes of tinnitus include:
- TMJ Disorders: The temperomandibular joint (TMJ) is the joint just in front of your ears, where you jawbone meets your skull. Problems with your TMJ can lead to tinnitus.
- Head or Neck Injuries: Trauma to the head or neck can cause damage to the ear, or to the area of the brain where sound is processed. Both of these can lead to tinnitus.
- Acoustic Neuroma: This is a benign (non-cancerous) tumor that develops on the nerve between your brain and your inner ear. It often causes tinnitus in just one ear.
- Meniere’s Disease: This disorder is caused by abnormal fluid pressure in the inner ear. This abnormal pressure can cause tinnitus.
Blood Vessel Disorders
Pulsatile tinnitus is the type of tinnitus that is caused by a blood vessel disorder. Though rare, tinnitus can be caused by one of these conditions:
- Atherosclerosis: As cholesterol builds up in blood vessels, it is harder for blood to flow through. When this happens in blood vessels in and around your inner ears, tinnitus can occur.
- High Blood Pressure: The faster blood moves through blood vessels, the more noticeable tinnitus can become.
- Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM): This condition is when the connections between veins and arteries are abnormal, and it can sometimes lead to tinnitus.
Tinnitus can have a huge impact your quality of life. But there are treatments available. Hearing aids, counseling and sound therapy devices can all be used to diminish the effects of tinnitus. Contact us to discuss the treatment options that are best for you.
Get a FREE Hearing Screening & Consultation*
Find out if you have a hearing loss and what you can do about it. If you already wear hearing aids, we'll check your settings and make adjustments if necessary. No obligation. No pressure. Why wait another day?
About Ascent Audiology & Hearing
Personal Care & Custom Solutions
Our team of experienced, professional and caring audiologists specializes in "invisible" hearing aids, digital hearing solutions with crystal clear sound, treatment for tinnitus (ringing in the ears), pediatric audiology services for children aged 3-18 years, hearing aid repairs, hearing protection and custom earmolds.
6 Locations in Washington, DC Metro (Virginia & Maryland)
Come see us at one of our 6 convenient locations in the Washington, DC Metro Area, in McLean, Rockville, Lansdowne, Falls Church, and Potomac Falls.
- About Our Practice
- Meet Our Team
- What Sets Us Apart
- Patient Testimonials
- What to Expect at Your Consultation
Join Ascent Audiology & Hearing on Google+