Early Signs of Possible Hearing Loss in Babies and ChildrenSep 30, 2016
Hearing loss can affect people of all ages, from newborns to the elderly. In older children and adults, hearing loss is often easier to identify. But in infants and young children, it may be more difficult to recognize.
Below are some of the common signs associated with hearing loss in both babies and toddlers/young children.
Did not pass newborn hearing screening
- Does not startle or react to loud sounds
- Does not babble, or starts babbling at a young age and then stops
- Does not respond to familiar voices
- Does not say any words by 12 months of age (even “mama” or “dada
delayed or unclear speech
- Does not respond to voices or sounds when they cannot see you
- Asks for repetitions or says “huh” a lot
- Does not follow directions
- Needs the television turned up louder than normal
- Misses soft so
unds or distant sounds
If you suspect your child may have hearing loss, contact the child’s pediatrician or a pediatric audiologist (hearing specialist) immediately for a hearing evaluation.
Even if your child has passed a hearing screening before, it is important to have another check performed if your child is exhibiting some (or multiple) of the signs listed above.
Untreated hearing loss can lead to developmental delays and can also have emotional and behavioral side effects. In order for a child with hearing loss to reach their full potential, early diagnosis and implementation of services and treatment is key. Don’t wait to schedule a consultation if needed!
Get a FREE Hearing Screening & Consultation*
Find out if you have a hearing loss and what you can do about it. And if you already wear hearing aids, we'll check your settings and make adjustments if necessary. No obligation. No pressure.
Why wait another day?
7 Locations in Washington, DC Metro (Virginia & Maryland)
Our team of experienced, professional and caring audiologists is ready to serve you at one of our 7 convenient locations in the Washington, DC Metro Area, in McLean, Rockville, Lansdowne, Arlington, Leesburg, Sterling, and Potomac Falls.
We specialize in "invisible" hearing aids, digital hearing solutions with crystal clear sound, treatment for tinnitus (ringing in the ears), pediatric audiology services for children aged 3-18 years, hearing aid repairs, hearing protection and custom earmolds.
* Free hearing screening & consultation offer is not applicable to patients under 18 years of age or existing patients.
- About Our Practice
- Meet Our Team
- What Sets Us Apart
- Patient Testimonials
- What to Expect at Your Consultation
Join Ascent Audiology & Hearing on Google+