Early Signs of Possible Hearing Loss in Babies and ChildrenSep 30, 2016
Hearing loss can affect people of all ages, from newborns to the elderly. In older children and adults, hearing loss is often easier to identify. But in infants and young children, it may be more difficult to recognize.
Below are some of the common signs associated with hearing loss in both babies and toddlers/young children.
Did not pass newborn hearing screening
- Does not startle or react to loud sounds
- Does not babble, or starts babbling at a young age and then stops
- Does not respond to familiar voices
- Does not say any words by 12 months of age (even “mama” or “dada
delayed or unclear speech
- Does not respond to voices or sounds when they cannot see you
- Asks for repetitions or says “huh” a lot
- Does not follow directions
- Needs the television turned up louder than normal
- Misses soft so
unds or distant sounds
If you suspect your child may have hearing loss, contact the child’s pediatrician or a pediatric audiologist (hearing specialist) immediately for a hearing evaluation.
Even if your child has passed a hearing screening before, it is important to have another check performed if your child is exhibiting some (or multiple) of the signs listed above.
Untreated hearing loss can lead to developmental delays and can also have emotional and behavioral side effects. In order for a child with hearing loss to reach their full potential, early diagnosis and implementation of services and treatment is key. Don’t wait to schedule a consultation if needed!
Are you (or a loved one) having difficulty hearing?
Schedule an appointment for a FREE Hearing Screening & Consultation*
- Find out if you have hearing loss and what you can do about it
- If you wear hearing aids, we'll check your prescription and adjust if necessary
- Hear ALL the sounds of life! Why wait another day?
Schedule Your Appointment Online
Or call (703) 962-6139
* Applicable to new patients 18 years of age or older.
5 convenient locations in the Washington, DC Metro Area:
VA: McLean ● Cascades ● Fairfax ● Falls Church ● MD: Rockville
We're DC Metro's highest rated audiology practice, with over 1,500 5-star reviews.
About Hearing Doctors
Personal Care & Custom Solutions
Our team of experienced, professional and caring audiologists uses the most advanced technology to diagnose and treat hearing loss and disorders. Our services include testing & diagnosis, expert hearing aid fitting, treatment for tinnitus (ringing in the ears), pediatric audiology services for children aged 3-18 years, hearing aid repairs, hearing protection and custom earmolds.
- About Our Practice
- Meet Our Team
- What Sets Us Apart
- Patient Testimonials
- What to Expect at Your Consultation